Review of council tax single person discounts

Scarborough Borough Council is currently conducting a review of all single person discounts offered to residents who live alone. We aim to provide these residents with the best possible service during the review, by offering clear instructions for completing forms to be returned to the council.

However, occasionally circumstances may not be so easy to explain. To help in these situations we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period below.

Why have I been sent this letter?

Scarborough Borough Council is currently reviewing the circumstances of all people who are claiming the Single Person Discount. We are simply verifying your validity to claim Single Person Discount.

How do I complete the form?

The easiest way to reply to the review is by using the text messaging services. Please refer back to your letter for instructions on how to do this.

You can also fill out the form online and enter your Post Code, Account Number and PIN number. All this information can be found on your letter.

Alternatively, if you would like to respond using the paper form and you are the only adult living at the property, please tick the box on the right at the top of your form. Proceed to Section B to enter the details of anyone who receives post or has accounts registered to your address. Please Note: This does NOT impact your entitlement of the Single Person Discount.

Complete Section D if applicable. Sign, Print and Date the form and return it to the address provided at bottom of the front of your letter.

If you are no longer the only adult living at the property, please tick the box on the left at the top of your form. Proceed to complete Section B, C and D if these are applicable to you. Sign, Print and Date the form and return it to the address provided at bottom of the front of your letter. 

What happens if I don’t complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount, which will be confirmed in your new bill.

What credit information do you hold on me?

We don’t hold any credit information on you, if you want to see your credit file please contact any of the major credit reference agencies:


What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

As long as the completed form is returned within a reasonable amount of time you will not be penalised. If the form is very late, you may receive a reminder letter. If you fail to return the reminder letter you may receive a penalty of £70, which will be added to your council tax bill. Please complete the form as before.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address?

All returned forms are handled by a centrally based local government scanning facility. They then process the documents on behalf of many local authorities.

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only?

Include their name and full residential address in Section B of the form, this will then be verified. People receiving correspondence to your address does not affect your eligibility for Single Person Discount.

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes. Please include all the details of your current situation.

I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender. Please also add their names to Section B of the letter.

A friend stays with me 3 or 4 nights a week, does this mean that I am no longer eligible?

If your friend keeps their belongings at your house, then your address will be classed as their main residence therefore you are no longer eligible for the Single Person Discount.

Who does your friend stay with the other 3 nights a week? If they stay at various addresses your address will still be classed as their main address.

What should I do if my circumstances are difficult to explain or COVID19 related?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered, please fill out the online form here, and select the fourth option “Other (My circumstances are not covered by the categories above)” and provide as much detail as you can regarding your current situation. Please make sure to include full names and dates when explaining your circumstances.