Review of Council Tax single person discounts

West Lindsey District Council is currently conducting a review of all single person discounts offered to residents who live alone. We aim to provide these residents with the best possible service during the review, by offering clear instructions for completing forms to be returned to the council.

However, occasionally circumstances may not be so easy to explain. To help in these situations we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period.

Why have I been sent this letter?

West Lindsey District Council is currently reviewing the circumstances of all people who are claiming the single person discount. We are simply verifying your validity to claim single person discount.

How do I complete the form?

Please fill out the form online and enter your PIN number, Account number and Postcode provided on the letter.

Alternatively, if you are the only adult occupant of your property, please tick the corresponding box under Section A. Sign, print and date the form and return to the address at the bottom of the letter. If someone is due to turn 18 years old in your household within the next 12 months please add their name and date of birth to Section D of the form.

If there is more than one adult living at the property, then please provide their name, date of birth and the date they moved into the property in Section A. If they meet any of the disregard criteria detailed in the Disregard Guidance Notes, please add their details to Section C.

What happens if I don’t complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount, effective from the last time we checked your eligibility which will be confirmed in your new bill.

What credit information do you hold on me?

We don’t hold any credit information on you, if you want to see your credit file please contact any of the major credit reference agencies:

What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

As long as the completed form is returned within a reasonable amount of time you will not be penalised. If the form is late, you may end up receiving a reminder letter. Please complete the form as before.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address?

All returned forms are handled by a centrally based local government scanning facility, where they process documents on behalf of many local authorities.

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only?

Include their name and full residential address in section B, this will then be verified. If you do not know their full address of they live abroad, please provide the city or country of residence.

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, include all the details of your current situation.

I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender.

A friend stays with me 3 or 4 nights a week, does this mean that I am no longer eligible?

If your friend keeps their belongings at your house then your address will be classed as their main residence therefore you are no longer eligible.

  • Who does your friend stay with the other 3 nights a week? If they stay at various addresses your address will still be classed as their main address.
  • Any other reason, please provide an explanation of your current situation.

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered please fill out the online form here, select the fourth option ‘Other (My circumstances are not covered by the categories above)’ and write an explanation of your current situation.